2015年4月1日 星期三

week4-復航空難-Tran Asia, crash, Taipei

TransAsia Airways Flight Crashes in Taipei River

AIRLINES & AIRPORTS | BARRY KAUFMAN | FEBRUARY 04, 2015
TransAsia Airways flight GE235 has crashed into the Keelung River in Taipei, according to the Associated Press. Dramatic dashcam video of the crash, which has since gone viral, shows the ATR 72 Propjet veering sharply onto its side and catching its wing on a highway before crashing.
The flight originated at 11:53 a.m. at Sunghshan Airport in downtown Taipei. Bound for the Kinmen Islands, the plane began issuing mayday signals to the control tower shortly after takeoff and crashed within four minutes.
Speaking at a news conference, TransAsia director Peter Chen touched on one of the most bewildering aspects of this crash, namely how new the ATR 72 Propjet is. “Actually this aircraft in the accident was the newest model. It hadn’t been used for even a year,” he said.
Stranger still, this is the second such plane to crash in a year. The other was also operated by TransAsia. It crashed in July, killing 48.
Rescue efforts were still underway as of this writing, with Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration confirming 23 dead, 15 rescued with injuries and 20 still missing.


Structure of the Lead
WHO-TransAsia Airways flight GE235
WHEN- 11:53 a.m. 
WHAT- the plane began issuing mayday signals to the control tower shortly after takeoff and crashed within four minutes.
WHY-not given
WHERE-Keelung River in Taipei
HOW-23 dead, 15 rescued with injuries and 20 still missing.
Keywords
1. veering:改變方向
2. bewildering:令人困惑的
3. Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration:台灣民航局


2015年3月11日 星期三

week3-法國巴黎漫畫雜誌社遭恐攻-Paris, magazine, Charlie Hebdo, attack

Danish newspaper to print Charlie Hebdo cartoons on Islam

COPENHAGEN Wed Jan 7, 2015 4:50pm EST
(Reuters) - The Danish newspaper Berlingske has republished cartoons on Islamic themes from the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, as part of its coverage of the attack which killed 12 people in Paris on Wednesday.
The Thursday print edition of Berlingske, available online on Wednesday night, showed several past front pages from the French magazine. Among them was one depicting the Prophet Mohammad and another about sharia law.
Such images provoked angry reactions from some Muslims when originally published by Charlie Hebdo, and footage of the Wednesday killings at the magazine's offices showed gunmen shouting "we have avenged the Prophet Mohammad".
Berlingske's Editor in Chief Lisbeth Knudsen said her newspaper's action in republishing the cartoons was not a protest.
"We will print them as documentation of what kind of a magazine it was that has been hit by this terrible event," Knudsen told news agency BNB.
The managing editor of Corriere della Sera, Italy's leading newspaper, said in a video editorial on Wednesday that his daily would also republish Charlie Hebdo's cartoons.
When another Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten, in 2005 published 12 cartoons by various artists, most of which depicted the Prophet Mohammad, it sparked a wave of protests across the Muslim world in which at least 50 died.
The media group JP/Politikens Hus, which controls Jyllands-Posten, stepped up security after the attack in Paris on Wednesday.
(Reporting by Ole Mikkelsen; editing by Andrew Roche)
Structure of the Lead
WHO-The Danish newspaper Berlingske
WHEN-Wednesday
WHAT- Republish cartoons on Islamic themes
WHY-not given
WHERE-Paris
HOW- not given
Keywords
1. satirical:諷刺
2. depicting:描繪
3. provoked:引發
4. avenged:復仇

2015年3月4日 星期三

week2-塔利班血洗軍校-Taliban, Pakistan, Peshawar school, kill/attack

Pakistan military signs death warrants for six

ISLAMABAD Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32pm EST
(Reuters) - The Pakistani military said on Thursday its Chief of Army Staff had signed death warrants for six "hard core terrorists" following a deadly Taliban attack on a school that killed 132 children earlier this week.
It was unclear if the men had been accused of involvement in the school attack or of other crimes. It was also unclear whether they were in custody or had been convicted in absentia.
"COAS today has signed death warrants of 6 hard core terrorists (pending execution) convicted by Field General Court Martial (FGCM), in accordance with law," the military said in an emailed statement. 
A military spokesman did not return calls seeking details.
The Pakistan government put an unofficial moratorium on executions in 2008. Since then, only one person has been executed, a soldier convicted by a military court of murdering a fellow officer.
But calls for the swift reinstatement of the death penalty have grown since the attack on a military-run high school in the northwestern city of Peshawar on Tuesday. Nine staff and 132 children were killed.
The Pakistani Taliban said the attack was revenge for a military operation that they said had harmed their own families.
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said executions would resume but did not say when. Around 8,000 people are on death row in Pakistan, where the court systems are notoriously slow and unreliable.
(Reporting by Katharine Houreld; editing by Andrew Roche)
Structure of the Lead
WHO-The Pakistani military
WHEN-Thursday
WHAT-sign death warrants for six terrorists
WHY-Taliban attack on a school that killed 132 children
WHERE-not given
HOW-not given

Keywords
1.death warrant:死刑執行令
2.absentia:缺席
3.moratorium:暫停
4.reinstatement:恢復
5.notoriously:出了名的

2015年2月25日 星期三

week1-美種族衝突-Eric Garner, NYPD, I can’t breathe, chokehold

Man, allegedly selling untaxed cigarettes, dies after chokehold by NYC police

NEW YORK Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:11pm EDT
(Reuters) - A man, described as an asthmatic father of six, died after New York police tackled him in front of a beauty parlor and put him in a chokehold on suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes.
The New York Police Department said that Eric Garner, 43, was selling bootleg cigarettes in front of a Staten Island hair salon on Thursday, and suffered a heart attack when officers attempted to take him into custody.
He weighed 350 pounds (158.757 kg) and measured 6 feet 3 inches (1.9 meters) in May, his most recent of 31 arrests - some of which were for selling untaxed smokes, police said on Friday.
His wife told the New York Daily News that he was asthmatic, diabetic and suffered from sleep apnea.
In a 3-minute video clip of the incident that was published online by the newspaper, Garner denies selling anything. He says he was minding his own business moments after having stopped a street fight between others. The source of the video couldn't immediately be confirmed.
The video recording shows that as officers surrounded him, Garner asks that they not touch him, but at least four officers tackle him to the ground and pile on top of him.
One officer puts him in a chokehold and pushes his face into the pavement, the recording shows.
"I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe," Garner says in the video.
By the end of the clip, Garner is seen motionless on the sidewalk. Police scramble to push a gathering crowd away from Garner, and one officer assures onlookers that Garner was alright.
Mayor Bill de Blasio promised a full investigation into the death that would be led by the Staten Island District Attorney, in coordination with the NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau.
"We have a responsibility to keep every New Yorker safe, and that includes when individuals are in custody of the NYPD. That is a responsibility that Police Commissioner Bratton and I take very seriously," de Blasio said in a statement.
The mayor and police commissioner will hold a news conference on the incident later on Friday.
The family of Garner, who has six children, will join Reverend Al Sharpton and his National Action Network on Saturday to demand a full investigation into the death, the network said in a statement.
(Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Bernadette Baum)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/18/us-usa-new-york-chokehold-idUSKBN0FN2D020140718

Structure of the Lead
WHO-Eric Garner
WHEN-Thursday
WHAT-New York police tackled him
WHY-selling untaxed cigarettes
WHERE-in front of a Staten Island hair salon
HOW-dies after chokehold by NYC police
Keywords
1. allegedly:據稱
2. chokehold:鎖喉
3. asthmatic:氣喘
4. bootleg:私售
5. apnea:窒息

2014年12月24日 星期三

week7-香港佔中-Hong Kong, occupy central, Leung Chun-ying, (umbrella revolution)

Hong Kong student protesters consider pulling up stakes

HONG KONG Thu Dec 4, 2014 5:50am EST
(Reuters) - One of the main student groups leading pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong said on Thursday it was considering ending more than two months of street demonstrations in the Chinese-controlled city.
The Hong Kong Federation of Students will decide in the next week whether to call on protesters to pull up stakes despite having failed to achieve their goal of ensuring open nominations in the election for the city's next leader in 2017.
"Some people wish to stay until the last minute and we respect that - but we cannot occupy without meaning," federation spokeswoman Yvonne Leung told local radio. "We will decide within the next week whether to stay or retreat."
The federation is one of several groups driving the protests in the former British colony. Some members of another student group, Scholarism, have gone on hunger strike while leaders of the pro-democracy "Occupy Central" movement surrendered to police on Wednesday and called on students to retreat.
Student leaders held talks with Hong Kong officials in late October but failed to break the deadlock after the government said their demand for open nominations was impossible under the laws of the former British colony.
Last month, three student leaders were stopped from boarding a flight to Beijing to take their fight for greater democracy to the Chinese government. Airline authorities said their travel permits were invalid.
Hong Kong returned to Chinese Communist Party rule in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula that gives it some autonomy from the mainland and a promise of eventual universal suffrage. Beijing has allowed a free vote in 2017, but insists on screening any candidates for city leader first.
The protests at their peak drew more than 100,000 into the streets but the numbers have now dwindled to just a few hundred.
(Reporting by Diana Chan; Writing byClare Baldwin; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)
Structure of the Lead
WHO- Joshua Wong
WHEN-Thursday
WHAT- Ending more than two months of street demonstrations in the Chinese-controlled city.
WHY- not given
WHERE-Hong Kong 
HOW-not given

Keywords
1. stake:賭注
2. democracy:民主
3. demonstration:示威
4. dwindle:萎縮

2014年12月17日 星期三

week6-年輕演員吸毒-actor, Ko, Jaycee, drug, arrest

Jaycee Chan and Kai Ko Arrested for Drugs in China News
BY LIN CHEN · AUGUST 18, 2014

 Jackie Chan‘s (成龍) son Jaycee Chan (房祖名) and Taiwanese actor Kai Ko (柯震東) were arrested by mainland Chinese authorities for drug use last week. Authorities seized over 50 grams of drugs at the site of Kai and Jaycee’s arrest. Due to their criminal offenses, Kai and Jayce may face three to five years in prison in China.
Hong Kong actor and singer, Jaycee Chan, is known for his extravagant lifestyle and nightlife. Jaycee was born in California and largely raised by his mother, retired actress Joan Lin (林鳳嬌), with little involvement from father Jackie Chan. Frustrated by Jaycee’s escapades and box office failures, Jackie had declared that he will give all of his financial assets to charity after death while forcing Jaycee to earn his own money.
Kai Ko debuted in 2011 through the Taiwanese film You’re the Apple of My Eye <那些年,我們一起追的女孩>, which set box office records in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Shooting to instant fame, Kai released his debut album that same year and received numerous love calls to star in mainland Chinese dramas and films. The 23-year-old was previously linked with Elva Hsiao (蕭亞軒) and rumored to be dating Dream Girls’ Tia Li (李毓芬).
Manager Said Kai Ko Must Be Held Responsible
A Chinese netizen on Weibo first leaked the news of Kai Ko’s drug arrest on August 17. The netizen wrote, “Kai Ko was arrested for doing drugs. My father interrogated him overnight.”
The news was at first met with speculation by Kai’s manager, Angie Chai (柴智屏). Losing contact with Kai Ko over the last few days, Angie and her lawyer flew to Beijing to confirm that Kai has been detained by mainland authorities for 14 days.
In a press statement issued today, Angie expressed her disappointment in Kai’s behavior. “The company emphasized that young people, no matter what they play with, cannot touch drugs. Kai also told me in person that he promised his mother he will not touch drugs!” Angie said that Kai’s “youth is not an excuse” and that “he should be held legally responsible” for violating the law.
To add further irony to the situation, Kai had previously promoted an anti-drug campaign. At the time, he stated, “Perhaps people think that using drugs can help them relax and solve problems. But I don’t think this method has any effects.”
Jaycee Fong’s Arrest Confirmed 
Last night, Jaycee Fong’s management company confirmed his arrest for drug use. In the press statement, the company stood firmly behind Jaycee and asked the public for forgiveness: “We believe in Jaycee’s character. We are willing to monitor him, along with the public and involved agencies, to allow him to correct his mistakes and go back on the right path”.
The press was unable to reach Jackie Chan for comment on the drug arrest.


Structure of the Lead
WHO- Jaycee Chan and Kai Ko
WHEN- last week
WHAT-They were arrested by mainland Chinese authorities for drug use.
WHY-not given
WHERE- China
HOW- They may face three to five years in prison in China.

Keywords
1.extravagant:奢華
2.escapade:越軌行為;惡作劇
3.previously:先前
4.interrogate:審問
5.speculation:推測
6. anti-drug campaign:反毒運動


2014年12月10日 星期三

week5-美警槍殺黑人-Ferguson, Michael Brown, Darren Wilson, Missouri

Ferguson officer, Darren Wilson, who shot Michael Brown resigns

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — The Ferguson police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown has resigned, his attorney said Saturday, nearly four months after the confrontation between the white officer and unarmed black 18-year-old that ignited protests in the St. Louis suburb and across the nation.
Darren Wilson, who has been on administrative leave since the Aug. 9 shooting, resigned effective immediately, said his attorney, Neil Bruntrager. He declined further immediate comment.
The Brown family attorney, Benjamin Crump, didn’t immediately return phone and email messages from The Associated Press.
Wilson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he was stepping down out of his “own free will” after the police department told him it had received threats of violence if he remained an employee.
“I’m not willing to let someone else get hurt because of me,” he told the newspaper.
A grand jury spent more than three months reviewing evidence before announcing Monday that it wouldn’t indict Wilson, who had testified that he feared for his life when Brown hit him and reached for his gun. Some witnesses have said that Brown had his hands up when Wilson shot him following a confrontation in a street in Ferguson.
The U.S. Justice Department is conducting a civil rights investigation into the shooting and a separate investigation of police department practices.
Wilson’s resignation didn’t seem to affect protesters outside Ferguson police headquarters Saturday night.
Rick Campbell said he didn’t care about the resignation, saying: “I’ve been protesting out here since August.” Several other protesters merely shrugged their shoulders when asked about the resignation.
“We were not after Wilson’s job,” civil rights activist the Rev. Al Sharpton said in a written statement. “We were after Michael Brown’s justice.”
Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson didn’t immediately return a message left on his cellphone seeking comment.
Wilson spent months in hiding and made no public statements following the shooting. Wilson, who recently got married, broke his silence after the grand jury decision, telling ABC News that he couldn’t have done anything differently in the encounter with Brown.
Wilson said he had a clean conscience because “I know I did my job right.” Brown’s shooting was the first time he fired his gun on the job, he said. Asked whether the encounter would have unfolded the same way if Brown had been white, Wilson said yes.
Wilson began his career in nearby Jennings before moving to the Ferguson job a few years ago. He had no previous complaints against him and a good career record, according to Jackson, who called Wilson “an excellent police officer.”
A few months before the shooting, Wilson had received a commendation for detaining a suspect in a drug case.
Structure of the Lead
WHO-Darren Wilson
WHEN-Saturday
WHAT-shot Michael Brown
WHY-not given
WHERE-not given 
HOW-The Ferguson police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown has resigned

Keywords
1.attorney:律師
2.confrontation:對抗
3.administrative:行政
4.commendation:讚許