2015年3月11日 星期三

week3-法國巴黎漫畫雜誌社遭恐攻-Paris, magazine, Charlie Hebdo, attack

Danish newspaper to print Charlie Hebdo cartoons on Islam

COPENHAGEN Wed Jan 7, 2015 4:50pm EST
(Reuters) - The Danish newspaper Berlingske has republished cartoons on Islamic themes from the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, as part of its coverage of the attack which killed 12 people in Paris on Wednesday.
The Thursday print edition of Berlingske, available online on Wednesday night, showed several past front pages from the French magazine. Among them was one depicting the Prophet Mohammad and another about sharia law.
Such images provoked angry reactions from some Muslims when originally published by Charlie Hebdo, and footage of the Wednesday killings at the magazine's offices showed gunmen shouting "we have avenged the Prophet Mohammad".
Berlingske's Editor in Chief Lisbeth Knudsen said her newspaper's action in republishing the cartoons was not a protest.
"We will print them as documentation of what kind of a magazine it was that has been hit by this terrible event," Knudsen told news agency BNB.
The managing editor of Corriere della Sera, Italy's leading newspaper, said in a video editorial on Wednesday that his daily would also republish Charlie Hebdo's cartoons.
When another Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten, in 2005 published 12 cartoons by various artists, most of which depicted the Prophet Mohammad, it sparked a wave of protests across the Muslim world in which at least 50 died.
The media group JP/Politikens Hus, which controls Jyllands-Posten, stepped up security after the attack in Paris on Wednesday.
(Reporting by Ole Mikkelsen; editing by Andrew Roche)
Structure of the Lead
WHO-The Danish newspaper Berlingske
WHEN-Wednesday
WHAT- Republish cartoons on Islamic themes
WHY-not given
WHERE-Paris
HOW- not given
Keywords
1. satirical:諷刺
2. depicting:描繪
3. provoked:引發
4. avenged:復仇

2015年3月4日 星期三

week2-塔利班血洗軍校-Taliban, Pakistan, Peshawar school, kill/attack

Pakistan military signs death warrants for six

ISLAMABAD Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32pm EST
(Reuters) - The Pakistani military said on Thursday its Chief of Army Staff had signed death warrants for six "hard core terrorists" following a deadly Taliban attack on a school that killed 132 children earlier this week.
It was unclear if the men had been accused of involvement in the school attack or of other crimes. It was also unclear whether they were in custody or had been convicted in absentia.
"COAS today has signed death warrants of 6 hard core terrorists (pending execution) convicted by Field General Court Martial (FGCM), in accordance with law," the military said in an emailed statement. 
A military spokesman did not return calls seeking details.
The Pakistan government put an unofficial moratorium on executions in 2008. Since then, only one person has been executed, a soldier convicted by a military court of murdering a fellow officer.
But calls for the swift reinstatement of the death penalty have grown since the attack on a military-run high school in the northwestern city of Peshawar on Tuesday. Nine staff and 132 children were killed.
The Pakistani Taliban said the attack was revenge for a military operation that they said had harmed their own families.
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said executions would resume but did not say when. Around 8,000 people are on death row in Pakistan, where the court systems are notoriously slow and unreliable.
(Reporting by Katharine Houreld; editing by Andrew Roche)
Structure of the Lead
WHO-The Pakistani military
WHEN-Thursday
WHAT-sign death warrants for six terrorists
WHY-Taliban attack on a school that killed 132 children
WHERE-not given
HOW-not given

Keywords
1.death warrant:死刑執行令
2.absentia:缺席
3.moratorium:暫停
4.reinstatement:恢復
5.notoriously:出了名的